KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — The Keuka College Baseball team extended their winning streak to eight games with a 5-4 victory over Houghton College at Kuhl Field on Tuesday afternoon.
Keuka College (16-13) was led by three hits and two runs batted in by Tyler Freedman (Rochester, N.Y. / Aquinas Institute). Freedman also scored a pair of runs as did Brooks Vertoske (Horseheads, N.Y. / Horseheads) who finished with a pair of triples.
Keuka College 5 vs. Houghton College 4
The Green and Gold took advantage of a Tyler Freedman single in the first inning as the senior eventually scored on a wild pitch for the 1-0 lead. In the third, Brooks Vertoske led off with a triple and scored on Freedman's second single of the game to double the lead. Keuka College extended the margin to three following an RBI groundout.
The Highlanders scored on a balk in the top of the fourth but the Wolves responded with an unearned run in the bottom of the frame to reestablish the three-run cushion.
Houghton College continued to cut into the lead with a pair of solo home runs to right field in the fifth. The Highlanders got an RBI single in the top of the seventh to tie the game at 4-4.
After a strikeout in the bottom of the eighth, Brooks Vertoske hit his second triple of the game. The junior hit the ball over the centerfielder's head, to the base of the wall next to the 400-foot marker. The next batter was Tyler Freedman who scored Vertoske on a sacrifice fly to right field.
Houghton College got a leadoff single to start the top of the ninth. Keuka College turned to Tyler Key (Chico, Calif. / Gridley) for the save and as the rain fell, the junior retired the Highlanders 1-2-3, striking out the final batter as Keuka College defeated Houghton College 5-4.
- Keuka College is now 2-3 all-time against Houghton College
- The eight-game winning streak is the second longest in program history
- The Wolves used five pitchers in the game, combining for seven strikeouts. Keuka College now has struck out 190 batters this season, setting a new program record
- It was the second time this season that Brooks Vertoske hit a pair of triples in the game
- Vertoske now has 10 triples in his career, setting a new Keuka College record. Eight of those have come this season, also a record
Up Next for Keuka College: The Green and Gold are on the road tomorrow with a road non-conference doubleheader against Medaille College. First pitch between the Wolves and the Mavericks is set for 1pm.