(CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky.) – The Thomas More University baseball team defeated the University of Dallas, 9-4, today (Sunday, April 7, 2019) in a the series finale at Thomas More Field in Crestview Hills, Kentucky. The Saints improve to 10-12 and the Crusaders fall to 15-14.
HOW THEY SCORED:
- The Saints took a 1-0 lead in the first inning when first-year third baseman Bailey Martin (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) scored on a run batted-in fielder's choice by senior short stop Sean Lawrence (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton).
- Dallas scored two runs in the top of the second inning to take a 2-1 lead.
- Thomas More took a 6-2 lead in the bottom of the second as senior center fielder Blaise Ostertag (Burlington, Ky./Conner) scored on a RBI bases loaded walk by senior catcher Sam Hauer (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder), senior right fielder Joshua Boeckmann (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) had a ground out RBI scoring Martin, Lawrence hit a two RBI double scoring Hauer and first-year second baseman Brett Benzinger (Taylor Mill, Ky./New Richmond) and then Lawrence scored on a RBI single by sophomore left fielder Brady Reynolds (White Oak, Ohio/LaSalle).
- Crusaders cut the lead to 6-3 with a run in the fourth inning.
- In the fifth inning, junior designated hitter Matt Wellbrock (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) stole home on a double steal to increase the lead to 7-3.
- Boeckman hit a two-run home run in the sixth inning to bring home Hauer and give the Saints a 9-3 lead.
- Dallas scored a run in the eighth, but it wasn't enough as Thomas More posted the 9-4 victory.
AT THE PLATE:
- Boeckmann was three-for-four with a home run, three RBI and one run scored.
- Martin was two-for-four with two runs scored.
- Benzinger was two-for-four with a double and a run scored.
- Lawrence finished the game, one-for-five with a double, three RBI and a run scored.
ON THE MOUND:
- First-year pitcher Mitch Mierke (Milford, Ohio/Milford) earned the win as he pitched five innings giving up three runs (two earned) on six hits, while striking out two.
- Sophomore pitcher Andrew Schramm (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) pitched two and two-third innings and gave up one run (earned) on two hits and struck out two.
- Senior pitcher Jonathan Breeden (Erlanger, Ky./Dixie Heights) pitched a third of an inning and got his only batter to fly out.
- Junior pitcher Justin Ward (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) pitched a scoreless ninth inning and had one strike out.
- The Saints continue their seven game home stand on Tuesday (April 9) when they host Wittenberg University at 4 p.m. at Thomas More Field.