LYNCHBURG, Va. - Junior third baseman Mike Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) belted his team-leading fourth home run, and senior outfielder Matthew Blaise (Clifton, Va./Centreville) went 2 for 3 with one run and one RBI, as the eighth-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team dropped a 10-6 ODAC decision at Lynchburg on Wednesday afternoon.
Score: Lynchburg 10, #8 Randolph-Macon 5
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./James C. Fox Field
Records: R-MC 12-5, 9-2 ODAC; LYN 13-13, 6-5 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets would start the scoring in the top of the third. Junior Zach Evans (Fort Mill, S.C./Seneca) had a leadoff single and moved to second when Blaise was hit by a pitch. Junior outfielder Ryan Duphorn (Erial, N.J./Paul VI) went to second on an error and Evans scored on the play to give R-MC a 1-0 edge. Senior second baseman Jeff Butler (Chesapeake, Va./Western Branch) also reached on an error, as Blaise and Duphorn both scored to give the visitors a 3-0 lead.
- The Hornets put up two in the fifth to pull within one before Nickles went deep in the sixth to give R-MC a 4-2 advantage.
- LYN scored three in the bottom of the sixth to take its first lead at 5-4. Junior first baseman Cole Grinde (Woodford, Va./Caroline) had a leadoff triple in the seventh and came home on a base hit by Blaise to even the score at 5-5. The Hornets scored three in the seventh and two in the eighth to make the final 10-5.
By The Numbers
- Blaise and Evans both finished with two hits.
- Junior catcher Jacob Selden (Lynchburg, Va./E.C. Glass) recorded his first collegiate stolen base.
- Randolph-Macon returns home to host North Carolina Wesleyan on Thursday, April 4 at 3:30 p.m. on Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park.