ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. - Junior catcher Reece Yeargain (Chester, Va./Benedictine) went 3 for 4 with a double, a homer, two runs and four RBI as the ninth-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team posted an 8-5 victory at St. Mary's (Md.) on Tuesday afternoon.
Score: #9 Randolph-Macon 8, St. Mary's (Md.) 5
Location/Venue: St. Mary's City, Md./Hawks Nest Stadium
Records: R-MC 9-4, SMC 5-10-1
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets started the scoring in the top of the first. Junior outfielder Ryan Duphorn (Erial, N.J./Paul VI) singled to right, was sacrificed to second by senior second baseman Jeff Butler (Chesapeake, Va./Western Branch), stole third and came home on a sacrifice fly to center by Yeargain to give the visitors a 1-0 advantage. The Seahawks would tally two in the first and one in the third for a 3-1 advantage.
- In the fourth, Yeargain had a leadoff single and moved to second when junior third baseman Mike Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) was hit by a pitch. Sophomore DH Kevin Mooney (Williamsburg, Va./Jamestown) walked to load the bases. Junior shortstop Zach Evans (Fort Mill, S.C./Seneca) delivered a sacrifice fly to center, plating Yeargain and making the score 3-2.
- The Yellow Jackets would tie the game an inning later. Butler drew a one-out walk and went to third on a double to left by Yeargain. A base hit by junior outfielder Shawn Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) brought home Butler to make it 3-3.
- After SMC scored twice in the bottom of the sixth, R-MC responded in the top of the seventh. Butler had a one-out single and Yeargain homered to left, his second long ball of the season, to even the score at 5-5.
- The Yellow Jackets would take the lead in the eighth. Evans drew a one-out walk and went to second when senior outfielder Matthew Blaise (Clifton,Va./Centreville) was hit by a pitch. Junior outfielder Ben Marotske (Dumfries, Va./C.D. Hylton) reached on a fielder's choice, with Blaise out at second. A single by Butler brought home Evans to give R-MC a 6-5 advantage. After Mike Nickles walked to load the bases, Yeargain was hit by a pitch to drive in Marotske and make it 7-5.
- R-MC added an insurance run in the ninth. Junior first baseman Cole Grinde (Woodford, Va./Caroline) had a one-out single and came home on a double by Evans to make the final 8-5.
- Sophomore left-hander Carter Egbers (Clifton, Va./Centreville) earned the win in his first collegiate appearance. He pitched the bottom of the seventh and rolled three ground ball outs.
- Senior right-hander Tommy Barron (Chester, Va./Thomas Dale) gave up a hit and had a strikeout in a scoreless ninth to record his first save.
By The Numbers
- R-MC had numerous firsts on the mound. Senior right-hander Jack Maccagnan (Chesapeake, Va./Greenbriar Christian) made his first collegiate start, going three innings with five hits, three run, no walks and two strikeouts.
- Sophomore lefty Zach Greber (Germantown, Md./Northwest) made his first collegiate appearance. He tossed a scoreless fourth with one hit and one punchout.
- Sophomore right-hander Bryan Diehr (Mechanicsville, Va./Lee-Davis) toed the rubber for the first time as a Yellow Jacket. He allowed a leadoff single in the fifth, but got a double-play grounder and a groundout for a scoreless frame.
- Freshman lefty Michael Stopper (South Riding, Va./Freedom) made his first appearance for R-MC, allowing three hits and two runs in one-third of an inning in the sixth. Junior right-hander Tyler Dunn (Salisbury, Md./James M. Bennett) fanned two with a runner on second to minimize the damage for the Yellow Jackets.
- Senior Daniel Lachance (Clifton, Va./Centreville) worked a scoreless eighth with one hit and one strikeout.
- Butler finished with two hits and two runs, while Evans knocked in two for the Yellow Jackets.
- Duphorn stole one base to give him 49 career steals, tying him with Butler for second on R-MC's career list. Both trail Rick Spiers' record of 50.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Hampden-Sydney on Thursday for a 4 p.m. ODAC contest.