ATLANTA — Spence Johns earned his second win of the season on the mound on Tuesday afternoon as the Berry College baseball team defeated the Emory Eagles 12-4. The win pushes Berry's record to 15-6.
Johns earned the start, going 5.0 innings allowing just three earned runs and striking out six. Luke Crawford earned a 4.0 innings save in relief, allowing just one hit. Five Vikings earned multi-hit games at the plate.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Berry plated three in the top of the first off a Spence Johns RBI single, a Quinn Smith walk and a sacrifice fly from Devin Post.
- Emory scored two in the home half of the first, but Berry answered with three in the second off the bats of Johns, Smith and Zach Huie.
- The Vikings plated another in the third off a Walch RBI ground out.
- Huie, Post and Derek Newman drove in runs in the fourth to give the Vikings a 10-2 lead.
- Berry scored another in the fifth before the Eagles began to trim the deficit with two in the home half ot the inning.
- Luke Crawford shut the Eagles down the rest of the way, but a Reeve Holley RBI ground out in the ninth gave the Vikings the 12-4 win.
- Zack Walch: 3-for-5, 4 R, 1 RBI
- Reeve Holley: 2-for-5, 2 R, 1 RBI
- Quinn Smith: 2-for-2, 2 RBI, 1 R
- Zach Huie: 2-for-4, 2 RBI
- Devin Post: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 1 R
- Spence Johns: (W, 2-2), 5.0 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 6 K
- Luke Crawford: (Sv, 1), 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 K
Berry opens a home series with Oglethorpe on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.