ROME, Ga. – The Berry College baseball team defeated the No. 16 SUNY Cortland Red Dragons 10-9 in walk-off fashion Sunday afternoon on a Quinn Smith single that drove in Spence Johns to score the winning run. The win pushed Berry's record to 14-6.
William Gibbons earned his third win of the season in relief, tossing 1.0 inning, striking out one hitter.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Cortland scored first in the top of the 1st. Dan Schweitzer singled to center field, driving in Scott Giordano.
- The Vikings scored their first run in the bottom of the 2nd inning with Dalton Smith scoring on an error.
- Berry gained another run in the 3rd after Devin Post singled, driving in Casey Whitaker.
- Berry continued to score in the bottom of the 4th, plating three more runs. Reeve Holley and Zack Walch both scored on a Cortlant error. Johns then scored on a Casey Whitaker sacrifice fly. Berry led 5-1
- Cortland did not score again until the top of the 5th when they plated two more runs. Mike O'Connor and Joe Tardif scored from a Colin BeVard double.
- Cortland scored again the top of the 6th off a sacrifice fly.
- Cortland tied the game in the top of the 7th off of a sacrifice fly that scored Andrew Michalski.
- Cortland took back the lead in the 8th, plating four runs. Marcos Perivolaris, Joseph Dwy and Steven Salisbury all scored unearned runs after a Vikings error. Colin BeVard then doubled driving in Andrew Michalski to take a 9-5 Cortland lead.
- Berry answered, plating three in the bottom of the eighth. To start the inning, Casey Whitaker doubled, scoring Zack Walch. Devin Post then singled, driving in Whitaker and Reeve Holley to score the final two runs of the inning.
- Gibbons kept the Red Dragons scoreless in the top of the 9th, giving the Vikings a chance to win it in the home half of the inning.
- Spence Johns singled, driving in Dalton Smith to tie the game. Quinn Smith then beat-out an infield single to score Johns and give Berry its second walk-off win of the weekend.
- Casey Whitaker: 4-for-5, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Quinn Smith: 2-for-6, RBI
- Devin Post: 2-for-5, 3 RBI
- Dalton Smith: 2-for-4, 2 R
- William Gibbons (W, 3-1): 1.0 IP, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
Berry will face Emory in an out-of-conference game in Atlanta on Tuesday at 3:00 p.m. The Vikings will return home on Saturday to continue Southern Athletic Association (SAA) conference play, hosting Oglethorpe in a doubleheader that will begin at 2:00 p.m. Saturday's games will be the team's Harbor House Fundraiser.