LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Spalding baseball team overcame a two-run deficit besting Case Western in 10 innings, 3-2, sweeping the series to improve to 5-1 on the season.
SCORE: Spalding 3 – Case Western 2
LOCATION: DeSales Field | Louisville, Ky.
RECORDS: Spalding 5-1 | Case Western 0-3
- The Spartans put a run on the scoreboard in the both the second and third innings to get out to a 2-0 lead, and the Golden Eagles found themselves trailing for the first time in the series. SU began to chip away at the Case lead in fifth inning when transfer Harol Matos doubled hitting a ball to the center field wall allowing Zane Baker to go from first to home to cut the deficit to one run.
- Facing defeat, with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, designated hitter Jacob Reece tripled, lining a ball to the wall in center bringing Quenton Brownlee in from second to knot the game at two runs apiece.
- After 5-4-3 double play retired the Spartans in the top of the 10th, Matos reached on a walk to lead off the home half of the inning placing the winning run on first. After an Ochoa fly out to center, senior Robbie Dale drew a walk moving Matos into scoring position. Leadoff man, Mitchell Langley, facing a full count, hit a hard-hit ground ball up the middle, Spartans second baseman Rocco Maue fielded it cleanly, flipped it to second for the force out. However, shortstop Jacob Lott looked to turn two, but a sliding Robbie Dale forced Lott to make jumping throw that sailed past the first baseman allowing Matos to race home to end the game, 3-2.
- Jacob Reece and Harol Matos both drove in a run each for the Golden Eagles. Matos went 1-for-2 with a double, while Reece went 1-for-4 with a game-tying triple. Eric Meyer finished 2-for-4 with a double.
- Hayden Davenport (1-0) came on in relief to earn the win. The senior lefty limited Spartan batters to no runs, on two hits, in five innings pitched. Jack Parisi got the start on the bump. The sophomore held Case to two runs, on four hits, while striking out seven batters, in five innings pitched.
FOR THE FOES
- Casey McConihe (0-1) suffered the loss, allowing one run, on no hits, while walking one batter in 1/3 of an inning pitched. Matt Levine got the start on the mound. Levine kept SU batters in check through 8 and 1/3 innings, allowing two runs, one earned, on four hits, while striking out five batters and walking three.
- Ben Stawicki and Sam Neal each drove in a run for the Spartans and Maue finished 2-for-5 with a double to lead Case at the plate.
- The Golden Eagles hit the road to Danville, Ky. to square off in a midweek matchup against the Centre Colonels at 6:00 p.m. EST.