LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Golden Eagles made the most of their opportunities scoring two runs on three hits earning a victory, 2-0, over Case Western. With the win, the Golden Eagles locked up the series over the Spartans improving to 4-1 on the season.
SCORE: Spalding 2 – Case Western 0
LOCATION: DeSales Field | Louisville, Ky.
RECORDS: Spalding 4-1 | Case Western 0-2
- After 3.5 scoreless innings, the Golden Eagles got on the scoreboard taking a 1-0 lead. Quenton Brownlee reached on a walk, stole second and moved to third on a failed throw down. Jacob Reece ripped a triple into left center bringing Brownlee across the plate.
- Spalding added a support run in the seventh to take a two-run lead. Brownlee and Reece hooked up again, Brownlee tripled to center field and Reece brought him home with a sacrifice fly to center field.
- Brownlee, Eric Meyer and Reece led Spalding at the plate with one hit apiece. Brownlee and Reece each had a triple and Reece drove in both Golden Eagles runs.
- Zach Jones (1-0) threw a magnificent game. The junior right-hander from Louisville, Ky. was hitless through the first 6 and 2/3 innings on his way to striking out 12 Spartan batters, while allowing four hits in 8 and 2/3 innings pitched.
- For the second day in a row, Aaron Blake came on to earn the save forcing a groundout with bases loaded to end the game.
FOR THE FOES
- Nick Denove (0-1) suffered the loss, allowing two runs, on three hits, while striking out seven and walking one in seven innings pitched.
- Four Spartans finished with one hit, with Jake Ryan having a double, Case's only extra base hit of the game.
- The Golden Eagles take the field at 1:30 pm looking to sweep the series, and will be back in action with a midweek matchup against the Centre Colonels at 6:00 pm in Danville, Ky.