WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Keuka College Baseball team swept a North Eastern Athletic Conference doubleheader on the road on Saturday at Gallaudet University.
Keuka College (9-11, 3-3 NEAC) won game one of the doubleheader 5-4 in extra innings. The Green and Gold then shutout the Bison in the nightcap 8-0.
Keuka College 5 at Gallaudet University 4 – 8 innings
The Wolves continued their string of hot starts by plating three runs in the top of the first inning against the Bison. John Rizzo (Auburn, N.Y. / Auburn) led the game off with a walk and Dakota Skinner (Waverly, N.Y. / Tioga) singled for Keuka. Dan Bamann (Rochester, N.Y. / Irondequoit) doubled to right field for the Wolves to score Rizzo. Skinner came home on an RBI single by Tyler Krowiak (Endwell, N.Y. / Seton Catholic). Tyler Freedman (Rochester, N.Y. / Aquinas) capped the scoring with a sacrifice fly as the Wolves took a 3-0 lead.
Gallaudet plated a pair of runs in the third inning and tied the game with a run in the bottom of the fourth. The game would remain tied and go to extra innings.
With one out, Tyler Freedman doubled down the left field line in the eighth to start a Keuka College rally. Following a walk and a fielder's choice to load the bases. Alec Bowie (Sparta, N.J. / Sparta) singled to score Freedman and give the Wolves a 4-3 lead. John Rizzo followed with a sacrifice fly as Keuka College took a 5-3 lead going to the bottom of the eighth. The Bison got one back but Dave Verrett (Cicero, N.Y. / Cicero-North Syracuse) ended with for his first save of the season as the Wolves won game one 5-4 in eight innings.
Lead Wolf: Bryan Johnsen (Otisville, N.Y. / Minisink Valley) earned with win on the mound for the Wolves. The senior went seven innings allowing just four hits and striking out four. Johnsen improved to 2-0 on the season.
Keuka College 8 at Gallaudet University 0
The Wolves took the early lead over Gallaudet in game two of the doubleheader. Dan Bamann tripled to score a run and later came home on a wild pitch to make it 2-0. The Green and Gold doubled their lead in the second with RBI singles by Dakota Skinner and Dan Bamann.
Starting pitcher for Keuka College was Wyatt Conklin (Bloomfield, N.Y. / Bloomfield). The sophomore recorded the first six outs of the game via the strikeout as Keuka College led 4-0 after two innings.
The Wolves added to the lead with two runs in the seventh inning and two more runs in the eighth. The Keuka College pitching staff limited the Bison to just five hits as they preserved the shutout, defeating Gallaudet 8-0.
Lead Wolf: Pitcher Wyatt Conklin had the best outing of his two-year career at Keuka College. The sophomore went seven innings, allowing just four hits and striking out a career-high 11 batters. It was the most by a Keuka College pitcher since the 2014 season.
- Keuka College improves to 10-8 all-time against Gallaudet University
- The Wolves have swept the season series with the Bison in each of the last four seasons
- Wyatt Conklin's 11 strikeouts tied for the third most strikeouts in a game in Keuka College history
- As a team, the Wolves struck out 12 batters in game two, tying for second most in a game in program history
- Anthony Mashewske (Newark, N.Y. / Newark) had his career-high seven game hitting streak snapped in game one against the Bison
- Dan Bamann finished game two with three hits, including a triple. Bamann scored two runs and drove in three for the Wolves
- John Rizzo tripled in game two. It was his fourth triple of the season, tying Mike Mullins and Dylan Thomas for the most in a single season in school history
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves return home to Kuhl Field on Tuesday as the Green and Gold host Cazenovia College in a North Eastern Athletic Conference doubleheader. First pitch between Keuka College and Cazenovia is set for 1pm.