AUBURNDALE, Fla.--The powerful hitting continued for the Keene State College baseball team as the Owls pounded out 19 hits in a 14-6 win over Fairleigh Dickinson University-Florham at Lake Myrtle Sports Park No. 5.
- Keene State: 4-2
- FDU-Florham: 3-5
How it Happened
Mac Struthers was 4-for-5 with a home run, three RBI, and scored four times, while Devin Springfield was 3-for-5 with a double, a triple, and knocked in five runs. Connor Walsh was 4-for-6 with a pair of doubles and drove in three runs, and Nate Rossi, Tom Meucci, and John Tarascio each had two hits. That was plenty of offense to support Isaac Keehn (1-0), who made his first career start and struck out six and scattered four hits in five innings of work.
Ryan Sliwinski made his first collegiate appearance, striking out four in two innings of relief, while Michael McDermott and Greg Poggioli tossed the final two innings for KSC. Anthony Cuomo (0-1) took the loss for the Devils, striking out seven but allowing 10 runs in 5.1 innings.
The Owls never trailed in the game, taking a 1-0 lead in the first when Struthers drew a leadoff walk and scored on Walsh's first double of the game. Keene State made it 4-0 when Tarascio and Meucci singled in the second inning, and Struthers crushed a three homer.
After the Devils got on the scoreboard with a run in the bottom of the second, Springfield led off the top of the third with a double. After Walsh moved him to third with a groundout, David Sevigny and Tarascio hit back-to-back doubles for a 6-1 lead. A passed ball gave the Devils another run in the fifth, but the Owls tacked on four more in the top of the sixth to put the game out of sight.
Singles from Meucci, Struthers, and Rossi loaded the bases with one out, and Springfield brought them all home with a triple, while Walsh hit his second double of the game to bring in Springfield. FDU-Florham scored twice in the seventh, and the teams traded runs in the eighth, before Springfield singled in two more runs in the ninth and Walsh had another RBI in the frame.
Around the Horn
- The Owls' offense continues to roll, having increased their hit total in each of the last three games. After 12 hits against Stockton on Sunday, and 13 against Colby-Sawyer last night, the Owls had 19 more for a total of 44 in the first three games in Florida.
- Keene State has outscored or tied their opponents in every inning this season except the first. Keene State is also hitting .316 with runners in scoring position and .282 with two outs.
- Rossi is the only player to hit safely in all six games this season.
- Keene State remains in action on Wednesday with a doubleheader against Gordon College, beginning at 2:30 p.m.
- FDU-Florham will also play tomorrow, with a single game against RPI at 5:30 p.m.