LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Golden Eagles bats lit up the scoreboard at Derby City Field as Spalding rolled to a 17-1 win over a DePauw team that made the NCAA Regional last season.
SCORE: Spalding 17 – DePauw 1
LOCATION: Derby City Field, Louisville, Ky.
RECORDS: Spalding 8-2, DePauw 1-2
- The Golden Eagles jumped on DePauw early putting up a seven-spot in the bottom of the first. Garrett Wilson crossed the plate for the first run of the game on a Clay Kelly sacrifice fly to right. Joe Hatcher drove in his first of four RBI doubling to left field scoring Dillon Sievert, and Hatcher came home on a Harper double. Shortstop Jeff Chapuran singled scoring Harper to give SU a 4-0 advantage. With two outs, designated hitter Eric Meyer hit a routine grounder to third, for what looked like the final out of the inning. However, an errant throw bounced past the first baseman allowing Chapuran to race home and Meyer to navigate his way to third. Back at the top of the lineup, leadoff man Garrett Wilson singled to right field bringing in Evan Trentman and Meyer for the final two runs of the inning.
- In the second, Meyer flied out to right field allowing Quenton Brownlee tag and score from third to make the score 8-1.
- Hatcher drove in his second run of the game with a sacrifice fly to right field in fifth inning scoring Wilson for Spalding's ninth run of the game.
- In the sixth, Wilson doubled to right field scoring Harper and Meyer for his fourth RBI on the day.
- Kelly drove in Trentman with a single to short in the sixth to give Spalding an 11-run lead.
- Pinch hitter Cody Milliner made the most of the opportunity singling to left field scoring Hatcher from third.
- Brownlee, Harper, Hatcher and Robbie Dale each earned an RBI in the sixth inning by reaching on a walk, with Brownlee, Dale and Harper reaching on balls, while Hatcher was hit by a pitch.
- Preseason All-American pitcher Jimi Keating (2-0) earned his second decision of the season. The right-hander limited DePauw to one run, scattering two hits, while fanning eight batters in 7.0 innings pitched.
- Center fielder Garrett Wilson went 3-for-4 with a double, four RBI and three runs scored to lead the Golden Eagles at the plate. The speedster also stole two bases, running his total to 11 on the season.
- Clay Kelly was second on the team in hits going 2-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Joe Hatcher went 1-for-3 with three runs batted in and two runs scored.
- Matt Harper reached base all five times at the plate, going 1-for-1, reaching four times on balls driving in two runs.
- The Golden Eagles will be back in action Wednesday, March 7 heading to Lexington, Ky. to take on the Transylvania Pioneers at 3:00 pm EST.