ASTON, Pa. - Hood College stole a total of 19 bases during a doubleheader sweep of Penn State Brandywine, including a school record 13 in the opener. The Blazers won game one 7-0, then took the nightcap 11-5.
The 13 steals are the most for a Division III team since the 2013 season.
- Hood walked 13 times and the combo of Dylan Johnson and Jake Howell combined for a four-hit shutout.
- The Blazers scored twice in the top of the first inning without getting a hit. Nathan Kessler walked and stole second. He moved to third on a wild pitch during a walk to Warrenfeltz. After Warrenfeltz stole a base, Josh Gall walked to load the bases. A bases-loaded walk to Wayne Baldwin drove in a run before Drake Friend was hit by a pitch to force in the second run of the inning.
- Hood added three more runs in the fourth. Kessler walked, swiped second and advanced to third on another wild pitch. Warrenfeltz was hit by a pitch and a wild pitch moved him all the way to third, allowing Kessler to score. Gall struck out but was safe at first on a wild pitch. Patterson knocked in Warrenfeltz with Hood's first hit of the day to make it 4-0. Friend drew a base on balls to load bases and a walk to Daniel Shepherd drove in a run.
- RBI singles by Brad Sawyer and Warrenfeltz brought in runs in the sixth and seventh to cap the scoring.
- Warrenfeltz went 1 for 2 with two walks, two runs scored, three steals and an RBI.
- Patterson had two hits, walked and stole two bases. Dylan Beck walked twice.
- Johnson notched the win. The senior scattered three hits and two walks over five innings, striking out five. Howell fanned four in two innings of one-hit relief.
- Tyler Michaels took the loss. He walked eight in three innings and gave up three earned runs.
- Hood's offense erupted for 11 runs to pick up the victory. The Blazers stole six bases in the game, the second most in school history trailing only the first game of the day.
- Cameron Esposito had three hits and was just a homer short of the cycle. Sawyer and Quinn Fulton drove in three runs apiece.
- The two teams combined for seven runs in the first inning, with the Blazers taking a 4-3 lead. Esposito walked to lead off the game before back-to-back doubles by Jordan Perez and Warrenfeltz made it 2-0. Sawyer followed with an RBI single, scoring Warrenfeltz. Patterson put the Blazers ahead 4-0 with a sacrifice fly. In the bottom of the inning, Matt Masi drove in a run and scored on a two-run single from Will Scott-Norris to make it 4-3.
- The Nittany Lions tied the score in the third when Masi scored again, this time on a single by Brendan Ricciardi.
- Sawyer ripped a two-run triple in the fifth that broke the tie as Perez and Warrenfeltz came home for a 6-4 lead.
- Masi scored a third time in the bottom of the inning but Hood got the run back in the sixth with a run-scoring triple by Esposito that drove in Alex Staton.
- The Blazers loaded the bases in the seventh when Sawyer was hit by a pitch, Patterson walked and Shepherd walked. Fulton ripped a bases-clearing triple, then scored on an RBI single by Staton to make it 11-5.
- Ryan D'Allesandro picked up the win in relief. He went three innings and allowed two runs. Ryan Atkinson and Patterson closed the game with scoreless innings.
- Masi went 3 for 3 with three runs, a double and a triple.
- Kevin Sessa was charged with all 11 runs, nine earned, in 6.2 innings to take the loss.
Hood hosts Lancaster Bible on Tuesday, February 27 at 3 p.m.