SEAHAWK BASEBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 11, Amherst 6
Newport, R.I. - Reynolds Field
Saturday, April 16, 2016
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University baseball freshman Zack Smith (New Canaan, Conn.)collected three hits and scored two runs to help lift the Seahawks over #14/#19 Amherst College, 11-6, in non-league action at Reynolds Field on Saturday.
The Purple and White (16-5) entered their first-ever meeting with Salve Regina with national rankings in Collegiate Baseball and NCBWA/D3Baseball.com. Salve Regina (11-8-1) has a season-long five-game win streak and has three wins over NESCAC competition (Bowdoin - twice; Amherst) while averaging 12 runs per game in the contests.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina and Amherst played for the first time ever in baseball today. The Seahawks extended their season-best win streak to five games.
Three Seahawk Stars of the Day
1 – Salve Regina freshman catcher/outfielder Zack Smith (New Canaan, Conn.) - banged out three hits to raise his batting average to .361 on the season, and also scored two runs.
2 – Salve Regina senior outfielder Ryan Kelly (Waldwick, N.J.) - two hits included his third triple of the season to extend his school record to 16 three-baggers. He also knocked in two runs.
3 – Salve Regina freshman pitcher Brett Wilkes (Franklin Lakes, N.J.) - earned a quality start with six innings of work and allowing just three earned runs in his first collegiate victory.
Key Stat of the Day
Salve Regina improves to 3-0 against NESCAC competition while averaging 12 runs per game in the contests.
Salve Regina sophomore Alex Perry (No. Attleboro, Mass.) and freshman Colton Eremian (Boca Raton, Fla.) both contributed two-out, two-run singles in the bottom of the fifth to break a 3-3 deadlock.
- Salve Regina's Kyle Lefelar (Potomac, Md.) became the third different Seahawk pitcher to earn a save, joining Jimmy Fitzgerald (Canton, Mass.) and Sean Healy (Wakefield, R.I.).
- Ryan Kelly now has 10 extra base hits on the season (three doubles, three triples, and a team-best four homeruns), just one behind team leader Alex Perry (eight doubles, three triples, one home run).
- Zack Smith has eight multi-hit games in 19 played this season.
- Ariel Kenney (Chula Vista, Calif.) and Yanni Thanopoulos (Highland, Calif.) paced Amherst with two hits apiece.
- The visitors committed seven errors which led to five unearned runs for the Seahawks.
"I'm obviously thrilled about the win playing on a tough, windy day in Newport. Offensively, we got on top of the baseball, did the little things, used the short game and got some clutch two-out knocks. And that's a great first career win for Brett Wilkes. He had a quality start and competed. Kyle (Lefelar) came in and kept their hitters off balance to finish it off. Now we've got to wake up and continue it tomorrow." - Salve Regina head coach Eric Cirella
Salve Regina (11-8-1, 3-1 CCC) – Sunday, April 17 at Wentworth, 11 a.m. [DH]
Amherst (16-5, 4-2 CCC) – Sunday, April 17 vs. Castleton, 1 p.m.