SALEM, Mass. – The Endicott baseball team dropped a 5-3 decision to Salem State University in non-conference action on Thursday evening.
Richie Sharp (Townsend, Mass.) improved to 5-0 on the season with 2 1/3 scoreless innings out the pen. Sharp only allowed two hits and walked just one batter alongside three strikeouts. Will Twiss (Middleton, Mass.) kept Endicott off the scoreboard for the next two innings for the hold, while Tim Woods (Wilmington, Mass.) tossed a clean ninth for his third save of the year.
Gulls' starter Chris O'Brien (Trumbull, Conn.) took the loss (0-1) on four innings of work, five hits, four runs (all earned), three free passes, and one strikeout.
Tied 1-1 in the top of the fourth inning, Endicott right fielder Steve Morganelli (Milford, Mass.) broke the game open for the visitors with a two-run single to center field that plated Brad Rebello (Bellingham, Mass.) and Michael DeDonato (Chelmsford, Mass.).
Salem State answered back, however, in the bottom of the frame with three runs highlighted by a two-run triple to right center off the bat of Alex Toomey (Beverly, Mass.). The Vikings also added an insurance run in the fifth on an RBI single from Joe White (Bellingham, Mass.).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Nick Berno (St. Albans, Vt.), Mike Kochiss (Fairfield, Conn.), Rebello and Morganelli all had multi-hit games.
- Morganelli led the team in RBI with two, while Berno drove in Endicott's first run of the day with a groundout to second that scored Morganelli in the third inning.
- The Gulls are 1-1 against Salem State this season.
FOR THE FOES
- Salem State has won its last two games.
- The Vikings are 7-5 at home.
- White finished the contest going 3-for-4 with one run scored and one RBI.
- Toomey was 2-for-3 with one run scored and three RBI.
Endicott (11-11) takes on Wentworth tomorrow at home at 4:00 and 6:00 PM. Wentworth will be the home team in tomorrow's conference doubleheader at North Field. Salem State (14-12) visits Mass Maritime tomorrow for a league twin bill at 12:00 and 2:00 PM.